Detroit Lions running back David Montgomery has produced nicely so far this season. But he has also now missed three games. He missed Week 3 against the Atlanta Falcons with a thigh bruise, then after suffering a rib injury in Week 6 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers he sat out Week 7 against the Baltimore Ravens and Week 8 against the Las Vegas Raiders.
Head coach Dan Campbell immediately said Montgomery would miss some time with a rib cartilage injury, as expected, but he has not been placed on IR. The Lions had their bye in Week 9, so it looks like Montgomery will return in Week 10 against the Los Angeles Chargers.
David Montgomery injury status for Week 10 game vs. Los Angeles Chargers
On Monday, coming off the bye week, Lions head coach Dan Campbell had injury updates. Monday's practice was only a walkthrough, but Montgomery is among those "trending the right way."
The Lions were back with a normal practice on Tuesday, and Montgomery was back and seemingly without limitations.
Montgomery carries no designation for Sunday's game.
David Montgomery injury history
- Aug. 2020: Inguinal Groin Strain Grade 2-returned for season opener
- Nov. 2020: Concussion–missed one game
- Oct. 2021: Knee Strain Grade 1–placed on IR
- Sept. 2022: Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull–missed one game
- Sept. 2023: Leg Thigh Bruise–missed Week 3
- Oct. 2023: Rib Cartilage-missed Week 7 and Week 8
Who would replace David Montgomery in the lineup?
If Montgomery is somehow not able to play against the Chargers, Jahmyr Gibbs would continue in the clear lead back role for the Lions like he has the last two games (51 combined touches).
When is David Montgomery coming back?
Montgomery will be back in the lineup against the Chargers in Week 10.
Detroit Lions next 5 opponents
- Chicago Bears, Sunday, Nov. 19, 1p.m. ET
- Green Bay Packers, Thursday, Nov. 23, 12:30 p.m. ET
- New Orleans Saints, Sunday, Dec. 3, 1 p.m. ET
- Chicago Bears, Sunday, Dec. 10, 1 p.m. ET
- Denver Broncos, Sunday, Dec. 17, 1 p.m. ET
Detroit Lions injury report
- OG Halapoulivaati Vaitai (back)-Out
- WR Donovan Peoples-Jones (ribs)-Questionable
- RB David Montgomery (ribs)-No designation
- C Frank Ragnow (toe)-No designation
- OG Jonah Jackson (ankle)-No designation
- CB Khalil Dorsey (knee)-No designation
- DT Levi Onwuzurike (hip)-Doubtful
- OT Dan Skipper (ribs)-Questionable
Los Angeles Chargers injury report
- QB Justin Herbert (finger)-No designation
- OLB Joey Bosa (illness)-No designation
- CB Michael Davis (illness)-No designation