Detroit Lions running back David Montgomery has delivered big so far this season. But he has also now missed two games. He missed Week 3 against the Atlanta Falcons with a thigh bruise, then after suffering a rib injury in Week 6 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers he sat out Week 7 against the Baltimore Ravens
Head coach Dan Campbell said Montgomery would miss some time with a rib cartilage injury, as expected, but he has not been placed on IR. The Lions have their bye in Week 9, but it's seems likely he'll also miss the Monday night game in Week 8 against the Las Vegas Raiders.
David Montgomery injury status for Week 8 game vs. Las Vegas Raiders
Montgomery opened the Lions' practice week Thursday working off to the side with a trainer. He looks sure to miss the game against the Raiders, but head coach Dan Campbell said he is "getting better."
Montgomery also did not practice on Friday, as pretty much expected.
Update, 4:35 ET, Oct. 28: Montgomery was officially ruled out for Monday night's game on Saturday.
David Montgomery injury history
- Aug. 2020: Inguinal Groin Strain Grade 2-returned for season opener
- Nov. 2020: Concussion–missed one game
- Oct. 2021: Knee Strain Grade 1–placed on IR
- Sept. 2022: Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull–missed one game
- Sept. 2023: Leg Thigh Bruise–missed Week 3
- Oct. 2023: Rib Cartilage-missed Week 7
Who would replace David Montgomery in the lineup?
Jahmyr Gibbs stepped into the lead back role for the Lions in Week 7, as he did in Week 8 when Montgomery was out, and had his best game of the season thus far. Behind Gibbs. if Montgomery were out, would be Craig Reynolds.
When is David Montgomery coming back?
It looks like Montgomery could be back after the Lions' Week 9 bye, in Week 10 against the Los Angeles Chargers.
Detroit Lions next 5 opponents
- Los Angeles Chargers, Sunday, Nov. 12, 4:05 p.m. ET
- Chicago Bears, Sunday, Nov. 19, 1 p.m. ET
- Green Bay Packers, Thursday, Nov. 23, 12:30 p.m. ET
- New Orleans Saints, Sunday, Dec. 3, 1 p.m. ET
- Chicago Bears, Sunday, Dec. 10, 1 p.m. ET
Detroit Lions injury report
- RB David Montgomery (ribs)-Out
- OG Jonah Jackson (ankle)-Out
- OG Halapoulivaati Vaitai (back)-Questionable
- C Frank Ragnow (toe/calf)-Doubtful
- LB Malcolm Rodriguez (ankle)-Questionable
- CB Jerry Jacobs (knee)-No designation
- DT Benito Jones (ankle)-Questionable
- DL Josh Paschal (knee)-Questionable
Las Vegas Raiders injury report
- WR Davante Adams (shoulder)-No designation
- QB Jimmy Garoppolo (back)-No designation
- DE Maxx Crosby (knee)-No designation
- K Daniel Carlson (right groin)-Questionable
- CB Jakorian Bennett (shoulder/knee)-No designation
- LB Divine Deablo (ankle)-Out
- CB Marcus Peters (back)-No designation
- CB Nate Hobbs (ankle)-Questionable
- LB Curtis Bolton (knee)-Questionable
- CB Tyler Hall (foot)-No designation