The Detroit Lions came out of their Week 2 loss to the Seattle Seahawks resembling a MASH unit. This week safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson (torn pec) and edge rusher James Houston (ankle) went on IR due to injuries suffered in that game, and both are out indefinitely.
Earlier on Friday, head coach Dan Campbell basically declared guard Halapoulivaati Vaitai and cornerback Emmanuel Moseley out for Week 3 against the Atlanta Falcons. Three others, running back David Montgomery, left tackle Taylor Decker and safety Kerby Joseph, did not practice all week. Decker of course missed the game against the Seahawks.
It's worth nothing the Lions have a short week before playing the Green Bay Packers in Week 4 next Thursday night.
Here is the final Week 3 injury report for the Lions, with game statuses.
Detroit Lions injury report for Week 3 vs. Atlanta Falcons
- OG Halapoulivaati Vaitai (knee)-Out
- CB Emmanuel Moseley (knee/hamstring)-Out
- OT Taylor Decker (ankle)-Out
- S Kerby Joseph (hip)-Out
- RB David Montgomery (thigh)-Doubtful
- WR Amon-Ra St. Brown (toe)-Questionable
- WR Josh Reynolds (groin)-Questionable
- C Frank Ragnow (toe/rest)-No designation
-With Vaitai out, Graham Glasgow will get the start at right guard against the Falcons.
-Moseley's Lions debut will not wait until at least Week 4, if not longer.
-Montgomery being listed as doubtful is a surprise, and it's possible he gets a Saturday downgrade. In any case, Jahmyr Gibbs will step in as the lead back.
-With Decker out again, Penei Sewelll will be back at left tackle with Matt Nelson again stepping in for Sewell at right tackle.
-With Joseph out, Ifeatu Melifonwu is in line to start alongside Tracy Walker at safety.
- St. Brown progressed from not practicing on Wednesday to being limited Thursday, and he's listed as questionable for Sunday after a full practice Friday.. He told reporters on Friday he is not dealing with turf toe, as had been speculated, but he will play with a steel plate in his shoe.
-Reynolds popped up on practice reports this week with a groin issue, and he's also listed as questionable after being a full participant on Friday.
Here is the Friday Week 3 injury report for the Falcons, headlined by former Lions' cornerback Jeff Okudah.
- CB Jeff Okudah (foot)-Questionable
- RB Cordarelle Patterson (thigh)-Questionable
- OLB Bud Dupree (illness)-No designation
- DE Calais Campbell (not injury-related/rest)-No designation
- LB Troy Andersen (concussion protocol)-No designation