Round Two, Pick 39: Josh Allen, Edge Rusher, Kentucky
More from SideLion Report
- Top 5 revenge games on the Detroit Lions 2023 schedule
- Lions center Frank Ragnow optimistic about continuing to play through toe injury
- Detroit Lions 2023 preseason schedule: Dates, times and opponents
- A new contract extension projection for Lions quarterback Jared Goff
- 4 wide receivers the Detroit Lions could still look to acquire this offseason
In round one, Motor City picked up an elite interior defensive lineman that makes an impact in both the pass and run defense game. In round two, they get their much needed pass rusher in Kentucky edge rusher Josh Allen.
Josh Allen began getting draft hype this summer, and after playing very well so far in a senior senior that consists of 65 tackles, 11 sacks, five forced fumbles, and even four passes defended through just 10 games, the hype has taken off. Not only is Allen a good pass rusher, but he can also set the edge in the run game.
Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller has Allen ranked as the 10th overall ranked player on his big board as of 11/13/2018, and the second ranked edge player. The Draft Network’s Jon Ledyard praised Allen in every aspect of his defensive game; from pressuring the quarterback to defending the run to his coverage ability, writing:
"“Josh Allen is a fluid athlete with good straight-line speed for an edge player. Moves well in space… Range to make plays to the perimeter. Flashes coverage ability in zone and man. Flashes of setting a strong edge and turning runs back inside.”"
Getting Allen in the second round after getting Williams in the first round would lead to a massive upgrade for the defensive line.