The franchise now
Following former general managers Matt Millen and Martin Mayhew, fired for poor performance, his resumé laced with championships is a breath of fresh air. Quinn has two drafts and some free agent signings under his belt, mostly seen as productive, too.
More from SideLion Report
- Top 5 revenge games on the Detroit Lions 2023 schedule
- Lions center Frank Ragnow optimistic about continuing to play through toe injury
- Detroit Lions 2023 preseason schedule: Dates, times and opponents
- A new contract extension projection for Lions quarterback Jared Goff
- 4 wide receivers the Detroit Lions could still look to acquire this offseason
Quinn retained head coach, Jim Caldwell, for years three and four of his tenure, and whether or not we agree, it has seemed to stabilize the franchise. Caldwell has brought no division titles, and two playoff appearances without a win in his four years.
Two of Quinn’s coordinators are head coach candidates: offensive coordinator, Jim Bob Cooter, and defensive coordinator, Teryl Austin.
Caldwell lost the division in the last game of last year. This year, he lost it ostensibly during the Thanksgiving matchup against the Minnesota Vikings at Ford Field.
This year also saw much-publicized mistakes, including allowing nine men to defend the Baltimore Ravens on a critical third down. These are the kind of in-game mistakes many critics cite as reasons why Caldwell must go.