We track the cuts made by the Detroit Lions as they reduce their roster from 90 players to only 53 by the NFL’s Saturday afternoon deadline.
The Detroit Lions, along with every other NFL team, are required by the league to trim their current 90-man roster down to only 53 players by Saturday afternoon. That means the Lions will have to release or waive 37 players in that span.
The league removed the 75-man cut down day that usually proceeded the Lions’ final preseason contest of the year. Instead, allowing every team to carry a bloated 90-man roster through the entire preseason. What that has created is a bottleneck, where nearly 1,200 NFL players will hit free agency or the waiver wire this weekend.
Not only will the Lions be required to cut down their roster, but their front office will scouring free agency and the waiver wire to find additional players who could possibly help them this season. Basically, the next couple days will be frantic.
The Lions are coming off their second straight loss of the preseason, this time to the Buffalo Bills. But the game was a showcase for fringe players trying to make one last case for themselves making the active roster in Detroit. Did they do enough to do so? The next couple days will answer that question.
To try and get our readers ahead of the media storm, we’ll be compiling a list of all the released Lions’ players below. Please check back to this post regularly as we attempt to update it through the next couple days.
Here are the Detroit Lions’ player we known have been released so far…
- Matt Asiata, Running Back – Source
- Cyrus Kouandjio, Offensive Tackle – Source
- Connor Bozick, Offensive Guard – Source
- Giorgio Newberry, Defensive End – Source
- Dez Stewart, Wide Receiver (waived-injured) – Source
- Tramain Jacobs, Cornerback (waived-injured) – Source
- Alex Carter, Safety – Source
- Josh Thornton, Cornerback – Source
- Pat O’Connor, Defensive End – Source
- Antwione Williams, Linebacker – Source
- Cole Wick, Tight End – Source
- Noel Thomas, Wide Receiver – Source
- Khari Lee, Tight End – Source
- Brad Kaaya, Quarterback – Source
- Jace Billingsley – Wide Receiver – Source
- Nick Becton, Tackle (Vested Veteran) – Source
- Thurston Armbrister, Linebacker – Source
- Ego Ferguson, Defensive Tackle – Source
- Leo Koloamatangi, Center – Source
- Derrick Lott, Defensive Tackle – Source
- Caushaud Lyons, Defensive Tackle – Source
- Rolan Milligan, Safety – Source
- Storm Norton, Tackle – Source
- Scott Orndoff, Tight End – Source
- Michael Rector, Wide Receiver – Source
- Robert Tonyan, Tight End – Source
The Detroit Lions will open their regular season at home, in Ford Field, against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, September 10th at 1:00 p.m. ET.