Teddy Bridgewater got some fun notoriety when he wore No. 50 to start his Detroit Lions' career this preseason, then he naturally switched to a more "quarterback-y" number (17) before too long. Now, with the season opener coming, he has switched his number again. He'll now wear No. 10 for the games that count. The number had been worn by Nate Sudfeld before he landed on IR.
Lions cornerback Jerry Jacobs teased his switch from No, 39 to No. 23 this past week. Now, that had been made official by the team. Roster cuts opened up some jersey number options, for players to switch to if they wanted to before the season starts and for new players who have been added to the practice squad.
Detroit Lions jersey number changes before Week 1 of 2023 season
- QB Teddy Bridgewater: No. 17 to No. 10 (was worn by Nate Sudfeld)
- CB Steven Gilmore: No. 36 to No. 24
- CB Jerry Jacobs: No. 39 to No. 23
- QB David Blough: No. 18 (he wore No. 10 during his previous stint with the Lions)
- OG Michael Niese: No. 62 (was worn by Ryan Swoboda)
- RB Zonovan Knight: No. 28 (had been worn by Jermar Jefferson)
- DE Raymond Johnson: No. 52 (was worn by Christian Covington this preseason)
- WR Daurice Fountain: No. 84 (was worn by Avery Davis)
- DL Quinton Bohanna: No. 90 (was worn by Corey Durden)
- K Michael Badgley: No. 17 (worn by him with the Lions last year)
So any Lions' fans who've been waiting to buy a Bridgewater jersey can now do so, with his number for this season now (finally) locked in. Jacobs is a sneaky fan favorite, so his new No. 23 could become a sneaky good seller.