Billy Sims was something different. A lot of younger Detroit Lions fans probably don't remember the man who led the Lions backfield before Barry Sanders, but he was an absolute beast.
A violent, low-to-the-ground runner with exceptional explosiveness, Sims was a nightmare for opposing defenses.
His five-year run in Detroit was nothing short of spectacular. In 60 games Sims carried the ball 1,131 times for 5,106 yards and 42 touchdowns. He also had 186 catches for 2,072 yards and five touchdowns.
And before Barry broke it, he set the franchise record for rushing yards. Unfortunately, a severe knee injury ended his career in 1984.
Still, we'll always remember plays like this:
That's why it's so cool that our friends at FOCO are releasing a limited-edition Billy Sims bobblehead, which highlights his Sports Illustrated cover. Check it out below.
From FOCO: Tackling Billy Sims when he had the ball: Hard. Adding this Billy Sims Detroit Lions Sports Illustrated Cover Bobblehead to your collection: Easy.
- Portrays Sims wearing his white gameday uniform in an action pose, re-creating his famous Sports Illustrated cover
- Sims' Sports Illustrated cover display on backdrop so you can immortalize that classic image
- Team logo display and Sports Illustrated logo displays on backdrop, in case there were any doubts where your allegiances lie
- Repeat Sports Illustrated logo display on reverse side of backdrop so you can show off the famous SI from all angles
- Team-colored base that will look great in your collection
- Team logo displays on top and front of base for a little extra team spirit
- Front name display so everyone knows who the face of your franchise is
- Hand painted
Don't wait. Only 100 of these are being produced. And once they're gone, they're gone. These will begin shipping in July, but we imagine they'll be sold out long before that.
This post contains affiliate links, where we may receive a percentage of any sale made from the links on this page. Prices and availability are accurate as of the time of publication.