I am going to cite a list compiled by ESPN as a starter to the conversation. If you’re interested in seeing all 21 candidates they mention, click here. I am going to focus on several with a short explanation. For the sake of time, I’ll only pick coaches who might have interest in Detroit.
More from SideLion Report
- Top 5 revenge games on the Detroit Lions 2023 schedule
- Lions center Frank Ragnow optimistic about continuing to play through toe injury
- Detroit Lions 2023 preseason schedule: Dates, times and opponents
- A new contract extension projection for Lions quarterback Jared Goff
- 4 wide receivers the Detroit Lions could still look to acquire this offseason
I’ll take Captain Obvious hires for $200, Alex.
There are two coordinators from the New England Patriots that are no-brainer hires for Bob Quinn, should he come to his senses and look for a new coach.
Matt Patricia, defensive coordinator, and Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, know Quinn and vice versa. I don’t have to explain too much.
McDaniels, 41, has had a stint as the head coach of the Denver Broncos during what most people might remember as the Tebow Era. Neither Tebow or McDaniels lasted very long. McDaniels returned to the Patriots and has gotten his swagger back, and is once again a head candidate.
Patricia, 43, has interviewed with the Cleveland Browns for a head coach job, but has never held the position. His experience as DC, showing the ability to deal with almost annual losses to his defense has many teams interested.
Either guy would seem like a good fit in terms of comfort for Quinn.