Jan 1, 2015; Tampa, FL, USA; Auburn Tigers wide receiver Sammie Coates (18) runs with the ball as Wisconsin Badgers cornerback Sojourn Shelton (8) defends during the second half in the 2015 Outback Bowl at Raymond James Stadium. Wisconsin Badgers defeated the Auburn Tigers 34-31 in overtime. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
5. Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn.
Coates might not fill a huge immediate need for the Lions as a vertical threat, but his size and body are still hard to ignore. Forever, folks have fantisized about pairing Calvin Johnson with a similarly sized pass catcher. In this class, Coates could be that guy.
There are questions about hands, but no such queries exist about skill and body type. Coates simply looks like an NFL receiver, and arguably, Detroit’s needed one of those for the past few years to help compliment Johnson’s unique ability down the field, and perhaps even provide an adequate replacement for Johnson in time.
If the opportunity presents itself, the Lions should keep an open mind about Coates, and it starts this weekend.
More from SideLion Report
- Top 5 revenge games on the Detroit Lions 2023 schedule
- Lions center Frank Ragnow optimistic about continuing to play through toe injury
- Detroit Lions 2023 preseason schedule: Dates, times and opponents
- A new contract extension projection for Lions quarterback Jared Goff
- 4 wide receivers the Detroit Lions could still look to acquire this offseason