The Detroit Lions have completed preseason play with a 23-0 win over the Buffalo Bills. Here are some quick thoughts from tonight’s game.
- I really wish I had even the slightest idea why Ryan Broyles was still playing late into this game. He’s been the Lions’ best wide receiver throughout preseason play with nearly every catch going for a first down. There shouldn’t be any question regarding his worthiness of a spot on the 53-man roster yet the way he has been used in preseason games suggests otherwise.
- I mentioned Nate Freese in my post at halftime but it’s worth mentioning again that no one should be nervous about heading into the regular seaso with Freese as the Lions’ kicker. Another 53-yard field goal in the second half as well as a 28-yarder capped off his perfect night. Freese is now 3-for-3 on field goal attempts of 50 yards or more. For a point of reference, Jason Hanson converted 55.9% of attempts from 50+ for his career.
- Also at halftime, I opined that Kellen Moore was deserving of a roster spot and that the Lions should keep three quarterbacks. Moore didn’t do anything in the second half to give any reason to change that opinion.
- In the battle for the fourth running back spot, George Winn got the better of Mikel Leshoure tonight. Taking a wider view of the situation, the Lions save some room against the salary cap if Winn beats out Leshoure for the roster spot so the burden of proof should really be on Leshoure to prove his worth. Winn can contribute on special teams and while the knock on him has been ball security, that hasn’t been a strength of Mikel Leshoure in the past.
- Hooray for no devastating injuries in Buffalo!
- The Buffalo Bills are still a dumpster fire.