With the tenth pick in the draft, the Detroit Lions have selected Deion Sanders.
In what is the surest sign that there is entirely too much time leading up to the draft, NFL.com is conducting an All Time Draft in which former players are being “drafted” to teams based on the 2014 draft order and with actual current team needs guiding the way.
I know what you’re thinking and you are correct. This does not make any sense.
Officially, the rules go as follows:
- Teams will select historic NFL players in the order of the 2014 NFL Draft
- No player on a current NFL roster is eligible to be drafted
- In this scenario, each player is 22 years old and has just finished college
- Picks are made solely based on need and players’ college careers, rather than their NFL production
Officially, this exercise is even more pointless. It’s historical, but it’s current. The players’ NFL careers have played out but you can only consider their college career. OOOOOOOkay…
In case this ridiculous feature interests you, or you’re OCD about needing to know what happened ahead of the Lions pick of Deion Sanders, here is the top ten:
1. Houston Texans – QB John Elway
2. St. Louis Rams – RB Jim Brown
3. Jacksonville Jaguars – LB Lawrence Taylor
4. Cleveland Browns – QB Dan Marino
5. Oakland Raiders – WR Jerry Rice
6. Atlanta Falcons – DE Reggie White
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – OT Anthony Munoz
8. Minnesota Vikings – QB Joe Namath
9. Buffalo Bills – LB Ray Lewis
10. Detroit Lions – CB Deion Sanders
Let the feigned outrage that the Lions bypassed Barry Sanders in a fake meaningless mock draft in begin.
Come, draft. Come quickly.