I was able to attend training camp over the weekend and came away with the following random observations:
- Ryan Broyles runs with no noticeable hitch from his ACL injury, which is extremely encouraging. He excels at sitting down in soft spots vs. zone, allowing the offense an underneath option to move the chains.
- Much has been made about Nick Fairley’s offseason conditioning, however he still looks like he’s carrying some “bad” weight. Clearly he flashes rare explosion for a player of his size – the key will be whether or not his weight loss allows him to fire off the ball with the same intensity on every snap for four quarters.
- Joique Bell looks a step quicker than last year and with his proven versatility in the passing game, he should see his fair share of snaps.
- Pat Edwards looks extremely polished and deserves to make the roster. He runs sharp routes, has soft hands and his ability to separate from defenders after the catch makes him a dangerous option from the slot.
- I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw from Theo Riddick before he went out with a toe injury. He’s fluid in and out of his breaks, catches the ball like a receiver and showcases nice vision with the ball in his hands. He’ll be a nice utility piece for the offense down the road.
- Chaz Schilens is much bigger than I realized. If he can stay healthy, he could provide Stafford with a big target on the outside.