When Matt Millen’s reign of terror finally ended, Scott Pioli’s name was prominently mentioned among Detroit Lions fans as a desired replacement. It obviously didn’t turn out that way. Pioli left the New England Patriots to become the general manager with the Kansas City Chiefs and the Lions promoted Martin Mayhew.
Pioli has since been fired in Kansas City and he is now working for NFL Network. The folks at the network coaxed a mock draft out of Pioli on air this morning. The top ten looks like this:
1. Kansas City Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, LT, Texas A&M
2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
3. Oakland Raiders: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
4. Philadelphia Eagles: Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
5. Detroit Lions: Damontre Moore Defensive End, Texas A&M
6. Cleveland Browns: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
7. Arizona Cardinals: Eric Fisher, LT CMU
8. Biffalo Bills: Bjoern Werner, Defensive End, Florida State
9. New York Jets: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
10. Tennessee Titans: Kenny Vaccaro, Safety, Texas
There have been some differing opinions on Damontre Moore, most notably from Russ Lande who says Moore may not be a first round pick, but seeing that name associated with the Lions is no surprise to anyone that has read a variety of early mock drafts. Dee Milliner has been another popular Lions pick in mock drafts but some consider him a reach even at five while Pioli has him as the second overall pick.
One big surprise is Chance Warmack at fourth overall. Personally, I have a hard time seeing it based on him being a guard. Yes, Warmack may be an especially strong guard prospect but we heard many of the same praises for David DeCastro a year ago and he didn’t come close to landing in the top ten. I’m in the “I’ll believe it when I see it camp” regarding a guard in the top five.
What do you think about Pioli’s picks?