The Detroit Lions may be enduring a disappointing season but that doesn’t mean there aren’t a few things fans should watch for in today’s game against the Colts. I propose these five:
- Ryan Broyles – The Lions’ surprising pick of Ryan Broyles in the second round of last year’s draft was a move made with the future in mind, it just looks like the future didn’t take long to get here thanks to the injury of Nate Burleson and the immaturity of Titus Young. Broyles has looked good in extended action over the last couple weeks, will it continue?
- Calvin Johnson – With the playoffs likely out of reach, the only remaining intrigue will be individual milestones and Calvin Johnson is chasing one of the biggest in the single-season receiving yards record. He needs to bump up his pace just slightly and a depleted Colts secondary provides a great opportunity to do just that.
- Quest for 5,000 – Like Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford has another milestone in his sights: a second-consecutive 5,000 passing yard season. The Lions may be more likely to work their running game down the stretch but Stafford has a shot if they let him air it out.
- Pass Rush – The Lions have been mostly disappointing in their attempts to rush the passer this season. Cliff Avril hasn’t gotten to the quarterback like he did a year ago, Kyle Vanden Bosch is on the downside of his career and Willie Young hasn’t take as big a step forward as many hoped. How the Lions’ pass rushers play down the stretch will likely determine how aggressive the Lions need to be in overhauling this very important part of their defensive scheme.
- Attitude – Will the Lions be one of those teams that packs it in at the end of a disappointing season or will they be able to build some momentum as they did in winning their final four games of the 2010 season? This game against the Colts will tell a lot.
What will you be watching for?