(note: Tailgate Tuesday posts are special features written for the SideLion Report from the gracious gals of The Thrifty Table. Check in every Tuesday for a new recipe perfect for that week’s tailgate party!)
Sloppy Joes are a great tailgate food. It is easy to make the meat ahead and throw it in a crock-pot then serve with buns once you get to your tailgate. I made them with turkey but you can of course use ground beef or even some Italian sausage in them if you want an extra kick.
Tailgate Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 T brown sugar
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
- Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.